Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fluffy Vegetable Omelet/Omelette | Marias Menu

Fluffy veg omelet

Weekends are the only time we have a heavy breakfast. Fridays we usually go out (yes, in this part of the world, weekends are on Fridays & Saturdays!) and Saturdays I try to make something interesting at home. The problem is that if I like something, I’ll be making it again n again until I can’t handle anymore, not even a single bite or a sip.

We were having pancake mornings on Saturdays for quite some time and now I’ve reached the limit!! These days I try to keep 10 ft away from the sight of a pancake mix.

So, last week I started playing around with omelet. That’s how I came up with this. I don’t know whether this is ‘blog worthy’ or not. Anyways it’s an easy one and one more thing, this recipe is good for kids. Most of the cookery shows (at least the ones I watch) usually end with a standard closing sentence “your kids will surely love this dish”. After hearing it so many times, I started thinking about the poor kids being made guinea pigs. Since I’ve that in my mind, I usually try not to say in my recipes that kids will love this dish. But this time, it’s an exception. I think your kids will really like it, if not love it ;)

And hey, one last thing before we go to the recipe. To make our site user friendly, we’ve added features like “Print this recipe” and “Email this recipe” which you can see at the bottom of each recipe at the site. Hope you find it useful.

Anyways, here is the recipe:

Eggs – 4 (refer notes)
Milk – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 small, finely chopped
Carrots – 2-3 tbsp, grated
Green chilly – 2, chopped
Grated cheese – 2 tbsp
Salt & crushed pepper – to taste
Seasonings – to taste (optional, refer notes)
Oil/Butter – refer notes

Beat the eggs & salt together. Add milk & beat again. Heat oil/butter in a deep frying non stick pan. Pour in the egg batter. Sprinkle the chopped onions, tomato, green chilly, grated carrots and cheese on top of the egg base. Sprinkle the crushed pepper & other seasonings too. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins (approx, it can vary depending on the thickness of the omelet) on low flame. When one side is cooked, flip the omelet and cook the other side. Serve hot with some salad and there you go with a power packed breakfast :)

Notes: All the measurements can be customized as per your choice. I used 2 whole eggs & only the whites of other 2 eggs. I used low fat milk. This makes it healthier. While greasing the pan for frying, be a bit generous, it will help you flipping the omelet. Also make sure that you don’t crowd the egg base with toppings, otherwise it will become heavier & difficult to flip. You can also add other veggies of your choice like mushroom, capsicum etc; I used basil & garlic & parmesan cheese as the additional seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment